Thursday, June 28, 2012

L is 8 Weeks


My handsome boy has been having a really hard time.  He is incredibly fussy and doesn't sleep much.  Most of the time he is crying, whether he is being held or not.  You can tell by his positioning and cry that he is in pain.  The poor thing cries his entire feeding.  It's heart breaking.

When we went to the doctor for his 2 week check I brought this up to the pediatrician.  I told the doc that I was thinking about cutting out dairy and wanted to know what he thought about it.  He told me that I shouldn't do that.  He said don't deprive yourself of something that you need and that he is colic and will grow out of it.

Going back to the doctor this week for L's 8 week appointment I shared with him my concerns.  L is still crying before, during, and after feedings.  He is still stiff as a board.  He spits up most of what he ate.  He won't bend at his belly and when I force him to he blood curdling screams.  He doesn't nap during the day, etc.  The doctor asked if I'm doing this, if L's doing that, etc.  He said that I answered all the questions wrong.  Meaning he didn't have any suggestions because I've tried them all.

This time I told the doctor that I was going to cut out dairy.  He said it was a good idea.  He said I could also pump and save the milk for a couple of weeks and give L sensitive formula during that time.  I'm not sure what he wanted me to do with the pumped milk.  I kinda just said NO.  That surprised me because he is pro breastfeeding.  I said I absolutely don't want to do that.  The doc told me that if he is still 'angry' the next couple of weeks after giving up dairy to call him and he will prescribe Zantac.  He must be thinking that L might be suffering from reflux.

As annoyed as I am with my doctor (just because there wasn't a do this and all will be ok statement) I love him.  I told him we are moving out of state and he told me I can call him anytime, even after we move if I have any questions, etc.  He said that he would even fill the prescription for me next week if I wanted it just incase.

That night I went home and had oreos and a HUGE glass of milk.  That was to be my last day of dairy products.  The next day I had my 'last' girls day.  A few of my closest girlfriends and I went for a pedicure and lunch.  What a nice time we had.  I am going to miss them SO MUCH!

At lunch we shared mozzarella sticks, soft pretzels with cheese, I had a salad with cheese crumbles, and for dessert we shared a salted carmel cake with a scoop of ice cream.  YUM!  After eating the dessert (I was allowed the last bite) I said OH SHOOT, I just had ice cream.  I didn't think about the bagel with cream cheese in the morning or the mozzarella sticks, pretzel cheese, and cheese on my salad.  What a failed first day!!

Today I did MUCH better!  I had NO dairy.  That I know of anyway.

I really hope that cutting out dairy will help L.  I don't want to put him on anything, but I will if it is necessary.  Hoping I find an amazing ped where we end up.  I am so sad to be leaving mine.  Even better would be if I didn't have to take L to the doctor until his 4 month routine check up that way I can shop around.  I pray that cutting out dairy is the answer to his problems and that he doesn't actually have reflux :(


Anyway... I need to get back to packing, but will keep you posted about L's little tummy.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard great results with cutting out dairy for awhile. With Silje I cut out caffiene, and that made a difference. I think we're learning so much about colic. I think all the time that I should have done that with David because he did just what you discribed, but no one suggested at the time that it could be diet related.

    For the next 2 weeks, you should look into Mylecon, as that really helped David at nights at least when it was worst. O, and I'm so glad that you're listening to your gut and not your doctor. I love our doctor too, but I'm of the belief that though they are great in sickness, they don't always understand the regular 'stuff.' There's a couple of choices for peds out here, if you want any recommendations. There's this new one from Europe who has a really thick accent, so kinda tough to understand, but she's one of the best I've met. She explains everything, and never ever passes on one of my concerns like it's no big deal. Plus, I've never met a more pro-breastfeeding ped...ever.

    ReplyDelete