Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Living Off The Land.... Maybe

I've been talking about wanting a garden forever.  When we bought our house in New Jersey I knew exactly where I was going to put it.  I was so excited to start one.  I never did.  We lived in that house for 5 years and never started it.  To be honest I am TERRIFIED OF BUGS!  Anything that is creepy and crawly I can't handle.  Hubs laughs every time I mention wanting a garden.

When we talked about moving to the mid-west I said I was absolutely going to start one.   Of course Hubs laughed again. 

The rental house we moved into has a gorgeous yard.   The owner must have spent hours every day keeping up with it.  There are gorgeous flower beds, beautiful ivy and a decent sized garden.  Now that everything is laid out for me and it's not our house I feel like I HAVE to do it.  I am trying to be brave and not get too creeped out.  I have already raked the flower beds and pulled a few weeds (I think they were weeds) and already let out a number of screams and or shrills, but who's counting.  Since the garden rectangle is also already 'prepped' for me I figured it was the perfect year to start one.  

I have NO idea how to garden and to be honest it really isn't something I am interested in researching.  Maybe one day but right now I kinda just want to snap my fingers and it be done.  So I called my mother in law  :)  

A couple of weeks ago my mother in law took me seed shopping.  She happily laughed at me while I was getting in everyones way at the seed store and stood like a dork.  I pretty much just stood in one spot and circled around. If you've ever shopped with me (mom) you know exactly what I looked like, I am a HORRIBLE shopper!  

After seed shopping I asked her if she would ever be interested in coming over sometime the next week to help me start the garden.  

Grandma and M

I am so blessed that she was more than happy to come spend the day with us and help start our garden. She brought her Claw with to turn up the ground.  No she and the boys did not Claw the entire garden. My handsome husband ripped through it in what seemed like only 20 minutes and then the boys just wanted to try it out.  

Grandma & G

G

M


The boys had fun sitting on the edge of the garden playing in the dirt while Grandma and I decided where we were going to plant.

We started off with some cucumbers on the back corner.


Then we did a row of potatoes along the back line.

Then I stopped taking pictures of what we were doing because the boys decided to play in the buckets of water that I brought back to the garden.  I took a couple of pictures before my hands got too muddy and then Hubs came out to take some more pictures of M & G.

M

M

G

G


M

M

G

The boys had so much fun 'planting'.  HAHA  They spent the entire time making mud and taking a mud bath.  They were adorable.  

I am so thankful that my mother in law allowed me to play dumb and walked me through this process.  I told her that now she needs to come and show me how to weed.  I'm hoping she will :)  haha.  She did say that she was going to have to come back to show me what is a weed and what is a plant.  I agreed 100% !!  Maybe she will even come back when it's time to pick :)  

Sorry that my garden post turned into a mud post.  I was excited to get pictures of the whole process... guess not.  I will have to post some pictures when something starts to poke through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment