Thursday, February 2, 2012

20's ... What 20's

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HUBS!!!

This gorgeous man just turned 29 today.  I can't believe that he (we) are almost done with our 20's.  It's crazy to me!

We didn't get to do too much for his birthday.  Sadly he had to go to work and didn't get home until 6:00.  I was happy that he was able to get home a little earlier than normal but it did not leave much time to party.

I have been having a bit of a hard time with the boys this week so I felt like I wasn't able to get nearly as much done for Hubs as I would have liked to.  Thankfully my mom is visiting and was able to be a majorly helpful hand today so that I could finish Hubs cake and make dinner.

For dinner I made Hubs favorite... Beef Stroganoff.

*Don't mind my terrible pictures :( of our little party.


When Hubs and I first got married I started making him a 'special' birthday cake every year.  I tried something new each year.  One year, not very far into our marriage I found that his favorite cake is chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting.  He would love for me to make him the same cake every year, but I love trying to figure out a new way to use those ingredients for him.  This year I made a cheesecake filled chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting, garnished with shaved chocolate.


The boys loved that they were allowed to be taste testers along with daddy.  G and Hubs had finger licking fun tasting the frosting.



This chocolate cake recipe called for a freshly brewed cup of coffee.  With all of the different chocolate cakes I have made I have never read a recipe that called for a cup of coffee, not sure if you have.  I was a bit hesitant... BUT for someone that doesn't like chocolate cake or coffee... this cake was really really YUMMY!  The frosting is a peanut butter cream cheese frosting.  It wasn't my favorite one that I have made in the past few years.  I thought it was too peanut buttery (I think I lost count when I was scooping the peanut butter).  I'm not a fan of peanut butter so a little less would have been my choice... but Hubs LOVED it (he loves peanut butter)!  The center of the cake is cheesecake.  I was really really looking forward to this part of the cake.  I figured I would only eat the cheesecake part of this cake.  Sadly I did NOT care for the cheesecake.  It was a tad too wet for my liking.  Surprisingly Hubs liked it.  I figured if I didn't like it there would be NO way he would.  He didn't eat all of the cheesecake but he liked to have a little bit with each big bite of cake.  If I ever make this cake again, which I think I might, I would use my MIL's cheesecake recipe and not the one that I used here.


This slice is Hubs slice that some how made it into G's hands.


He did not want to give it up.


He had to make sure it tasted ok before allowing Daddy to have it.


After M had a bite of his cake (his face makes it look like he doesn't like it) he decided he didn't want his slice... he wanted Daddy's, which was MUCH bigger.


Here you can see that he wasn't a fan of his little slice of cake.





After our little dinner party we spent a short amount of time playing with Daddy.  Then we went upstairs and got ready for bed.  I was so tired that after I got the boys diapers changed, etc I laid on G's bed and just watched the three boys play.  Daddy came over and 'freed' up my belly.  He wanted to give little jumping bean a kiss.  He asked the boys to come over and say hi to baby and give a kiss.  I told him that earlier this week my belly was showing and M came over (I thought to give it a kiss) and he gave my belly the biggest raspberry ever.  Hubs didn't believe me so he asked M to come over.  Hubs gave jumping bean a raspberry and then told M to try.  M laughed and then began to give baby jumping bean raspberries for half an hour.  The four of us could not stop laughing.  It was such a nice way to end a very long difficult mommy day.

Happy Birthday Jon.  I love you!

1 comment:

  1. The cake looks great! I am sure Jon loved it! I am sorry you had such a tough day! Say Hi to your Mom!

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete