Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Big Boy Beds Completed

A few months ago we made the boys Big Boy beds.  You can see them here if you forget what they look like.  I think they came out really cute!  We have been using the boys nursery bedding on the mattresses.  Which was great, because the boys were in mini cribs before their toddler beds so we never actually used the sheets that were given to them anyway.  We ended up having to buy mini solid color sheets.  I'm glad we got good use out of the normal sized sheets.  We will continue to rotate them through... seeing as ... well you'll see in a minute.

A while back (maybe a year) one of the local Walmarts was closing their fabric section.  All of the fabric was on sale.  I had no idea what I wanted to get, but I knew I wanted something fun for the boys.  Too bad I didn't buy A LOT more of A LOT of different stuff.  I was still a working mom and was so busy that I didn't even have time to think about what I would or could do with the different on sale fabric.  

Hubs came with me and he saw tractor fabric.  NOT John Deer... TRACTOR.  He was so excited that right then and there he told me we should do (when they get there) the boys big boy room in tractors.  I wasn't thrilled about the idea.  I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I wanted to decide.  (He chose the bedding/theme for their nursery as well).  I wanted this choice.  He was so excited that I said ok anyway (yes I did think the fabrics were cute).  We bought a bunch of the two different tractor fabric that they had.  (I think the thing he liked best about it was it is International Harvester brand... that is what his truck that he had just purchased around that time was).  

Anyway, I FINALLY got to making their sheets.  


 Here is one all sewn up.  I was hoping to make more than 1 sheet a piece, but this particular fabric wasn't as wide as most and I must not have realized that when I bought it.  I was actually 2 inches short on the width but decided to make it anyway hoping and praying that they would fit their mattresses.  They JUST go around the bottom.  I was a little nervous that they would pop off after one nights sleep, but it's been 3 and they haven't budged!

I decided to make little tractor pillows to go with their beds.  I think they came out cute.  

I didn't take a picture of the pillow case before inserting the pillow...

 The main fabric says, "What Happens On My Tractor, Stays On My Tractor".  I used scrap corduroy that I had in the house and bought a red sweatshirt from the dollar store to make the letters.  I had originally used the sheet fabric for the letters but wasn't sure I liked it.  I'm glad I went with the red.



I made it so that the pillows went in the opposite direction.  I thought it would be fun.  Not sure if it would have made a difference either way.  As Hubs told me, "You are putting too much thought into this, just make them".

Their lovey blanket is on their bed (and a Cars blanket that their Grandma gave them for Christmas).  I'm thinking about making them new blankets.  I came across this super soft velvety fleece on one side and soft fluff on the other side material that I want to use.  I'm just trying to decide if I should spend the money.  They have so many different blankets, I'm not sure if I should bother... even though the others don't match...hmmmm

I called these their lovey blankets because they walk around the house or anywhere I will let them take their blankets like Linus.  They chew on the four corners so much that they have ripped the stitches and some of the material.  They a gross and stinky, no matter how many times or how I wash them, but I don't see them giving them up anytime soon.  I'm glad they are blue and some what match.






 After setting up the beds I brought the boys up for a nap.  They hadn't seen the pillow cases or the tractor pillows yet.

Here is M checking out G's bed.

M stealing G's tractor pillow.

G thrilled over his tractor bed.

M testing out his bed... I don't know, maybe making sure it feels the same.

M telling us Shhhhh....


M playing "HELLO".  The boys will hide behind their curtains stick out their heads and yell hello.  One afternoon nap I had NO idea what they were doing in their rooms.  I kept hearing hello and falling.  They stand on the baseboard under the window, look out the window, then pull back the curtain (fall half off the baseboard) and yell hello to each other from across the room.

G testing out his bed.

M ready to give his a try.

Night All... we are taking a nap... SHHHHhhhhhhh......

There is more that I want to do to their room.  I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or just leave it blank.  We are trying to sell our house and if it happens I don't really want to spend all that time and money and just leave the hard work behind.  Hubs and I think we might have come up with a way that we could do some of the things I want to do and make them 'moveable'.  We will see.  I will keep you posted.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment